Even members of the Hollywood elite understand the importance of protecting our healthy trees. Actor Ryan Reynolds recently made headlines when he teamed up with Eddie Bauer and American Forests to promote The One Tree Initiative’s #Hug2Give Campaign. American Forests is the oldest non-profit conservation organization in the United States. They promote protection of our forests and highlight the health benefits trees provide by planting new trees and rebuilding destroyed ecosystems. The #Hug2Give Campaign is a social media-based effort: take a photo of you or a loved one hugging a tree, tag it with #hug2give and #onetree, and Eddie Bauer will donate $50 to American Forests to protect and rebuild our priceless trees and forests.
But what if you’re wondering how to care for the trees in your own yard? Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure the growth and health of your personal topiary collection:
- If you’ve just planted a sapling, water it right away.
- Young trees have a tough time with drought, so provide extra water in hot weather.
- Trees can easily be damaged by pruning, so enlist a tree service company to trim your trees.
- Trim grass to prevent growth problems with trunks and roots.
- When considering where to plant a tree, make sure it’s a location where future roots will be free from car and foot traffic.
- Keep gardens and trees a good distance from each other — both will benefit from the space.
- If you have a sick tree, you may not notice right away. Signs of tree illness include color changes, unseasonal leaf drops, canopy thinning, and unusual trunk growths. If you think your tree might be sick, a tree service company with an arborist can make a determination as to whether it should be removed.
- Removing a tree can be dangerous, and you may also need a stump removal. Because of the hazards involved, it’s best to enlist the help of a tree service company for your tree removal. You can always plant a new tree afterwards!
Tree care is vital to healthy growth and longevity, and because trees provide so many benefits, we should do everything we can to keep them around for as long as possible. Make tree health a priority in your yard, and everything around you will flourish.by