Moving offices can be a hassle, no matter if it is a local move or a long distance move. Here are some easy office moving tips to make your life stress free in the weeks up to the move.
1. Plan your move as early as possible. You will want to plan ahead because planning an office relocation takes about six months. Plus, in order to get packing services and local movers involved, you will want to be flexible and have time.
2. Hire a mover who can provide their own resources and manpower. While you may ask your employees to pitch in, it can be more beneficial to the business as a whole if they provide movers so everything can get done in the hours after everyone has left the office.
3. Always hire a moving company that has insurance. This will protect you in case one of their movers suffers from an injury on your property, and will be able to provide you a financial return if anything gets broken or damaged during the move.
4. Always check the requirements of the building you are moving into, as you may not be able to move in during certain times. Each office is different and has different set standards for moving, and you don’t want to get fined the first day you are there!
5. Keep your employees as informed as possible, and check with your state’s legislature if there is an amount of time you have to give your employees notice that your office is moving.
6. Make sure to change your address on your website, your social media, and on printed materials such as business cards and envelopes.
7. Take inventory before the move. If it is easier, have each department do this separately so everyone can be keep track of their personal belongings before, during and after the move.
8. Walk through the new building with the landlord before the move to ensure it is in working condition. This means looking out for any leaks, broken or missing light bulbs, and making sure the heat or air conditioning is turned on. You do not want any surprises when moving.
Follow these easy and simple office moving tips and your next move will be a breeze!