Many people do not realize that the United States is home to some of the most extreme and dangerous weather on the planet. During the 20th century, the nation was hit by 158 hurricanes. Just one hurricane can drop 2.4 trillion gallons of rainwater in a single day. When you combine that with the hundreds of miles of air that are churned up, you have a lot of potential for damage to your home or business. This is the main reason, for people in the path of most hurricanes, for installing impact glass doors and windows.
- Impact glass doors and windows can protect your home or business from hurricanes and other strong storms. This may seem like a given but it is such an important reason to put in high impact glass for your windows and doors. In recent years, there have been more hurricanes that are getting stronger every year. That means that states along the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts are at risk. If you live in another part of the country there are other weather events that require impact resistant windows and doors.
- You can lower your home or business insurance premiums. When insurance companies look at homes and businesses, they look at the risks there. When people have a good alarm system or have installed impact glass doors, those features show that the home or business has less of a chance of being damaged by a strong storm or other weather events. This means that the insurance premiums for these properties are lower than for homes and businesses without this protection. When you bring in impact window manufacturers to install your glass windows and doors, you also get a home or business that is harder to break into.
- You will get better sleep. As you may imagine, impact glass doors and windows are thicker than the alternatives. That means when you have impact resistant hurricane windows and doors installed, you get soundproofing at the same time. So when the neighbors let their dogs bark all night or run their leaf blowers early in the morning, you will be less likely to be bothered and will get better sleep at night. We all can use that.
- You can lower your utility bills. Impact resistant glass also provides better insulation for your home. This means your heating and cooling will work just on your house, not the entire neighborhood. For the most part, these impact resistant glass doors and windows create a vacuum seal that prevents air from leaving or entering the space. This keeps the sun rays out, which means you do not need to use as much power to keep your place cool and comfortable.
- You can get tax credits for installing more environmentally friendly windows and doors. The government is always on the lookout to help people increase the energy efficiency of their homes and businesses. Before you make the decision to install doors and windows that can withstand the strong winds of a bad storm or hurricane, talk to your accountant about ways you can offset the installation cost with tax credits. That is like killing two birds with one stone. You get a home or business that is cheaper to heat or cool and you get to lower your tax bill at the same time.
- Get more for your home if you decide to sell it. When people add impact resistant windows and doors to their home, they tend to get more money for the property when they want to sell. Today, when people are looking for a home to buy, the increased security of impact glass doors and windows, the increased protection from burglars and weather events, and the lower environmental impact the houses have as well as the smaller energy bills. These are all attractive features to home buyers.
Getting impact glass doors and windows is great for a number of reasons. If you are planning to stay in your home or keep your business space, you have more security. You know the property has more protection from thieves and bad weather. If you are selling it, you will get more money for the property.